Tuesday 27 November 2012

FOR THE LOVE OF COCONUT

Some people don't like coconut.

I'm not one of those people.

I've always been a fan of dried coconut (as a kid, covered in chocolate and called Bounty and as an adult, unsweetened and toasted). But within the past year or so, coconut has crossed my path in other forms. Take coconut oil, for instance. After learning about the potentially harmful effects of cooking with olive oil (and other vegetables oils, if you didn't already know), I made the switch to cooking predominantly with coconut oil.* Coconut oil is far less damaged by heat than olive oil and therefore seems to be the ideal choice for cooking.

Some other ways that I like to enjoy coconut oil is on toast instead of butter (try it with a bit of raw honey and cinnamon - you've got cinnamon toast!) or as a treat, tossed with air popped popcorn and a bit of sea salt. Consuming a teaspoon of coconut oil on its own is also known to help with digestion and immunity.

Hands down, coconut oil has become one of my favourite pantry staples.

That said, coconut oil also has many uses and health benefits outside of the kitchen. Although there are literally dozens of uses for coconut oil, my favourites are as an overall moisturiser, particularly for nails and cuticles.

Aside from coconut oil, I've also recently become a big fan of coconut milk. It's rich and delicious, and for that reason, I find a little goes a long way.

I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while now. It's one my good friend G adapted from Jamie Oliver, and it's kind of really delicious (and so easy!).




Coconut Curry Shrimp with Roasted Vegetables

1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. curry paste
1 shallot, minced
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled
1/2 small butternut squash, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 can coconut milk
juice and zest of 2 limes

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Once vegetables are cooked, prepare the rest of the dish.

2. In a large pan, heat coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add curry paste and mix with the oil until well combined. Add shallot and cook until fragrant.

2. Add shrimp and cook for about five minutes, just before they are completely cooked through.

3. Next, add vegetables, then coconut milk. Stir well.

4. Add lime juice and zest, and let simmer for a few minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Try This: This recipe can easily be modified. Try using chicken in place of the shrimp, or a green curry instead of red. 

*Check here for my favourite coconut oil!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, physician, or any kind of health professional. Everything that you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge and opinion. If you require specific health and fitness advice, please seek a qualified health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment