Monday 1 October 2012

YOU ASKED, WE DELIVERED


It's been a long time coming, but after numerous requests from readers of my previous blog, I finally have a workout video to share!

I get asked a lot about what I do to stay in shape, and I think the best answer I can give to anyone is that in order to exercise effectively ("effectively" being the development of cardiovascular and muscle strength, as well as overall physique - I am an actor after all), I am constantly changing my workouts. Not only do I like to switch up which muscle groups I exercise, but I like to change how I exercise them.

Right now, my weekly workout regime is a combination of running, HIIT/circuit workouts, yoga, and Muay Thai. I just finished my second season playing Australian Rules Football, and somewhere between Monday and Friday, I'm looking to throw in a morning or two of swimming. Let me assure you, I'm not crazy. In fact, this being only my second season of playing Aussie Rules, it will also be my last. Loved ones have finally convinced me that a full-contact sport isn't a wise choice for someone with rheumatoid arthritis. As for my other activities, I only kickbox once a week and am careful when running or doing HIIT. Bottom line: I'm a lot less intense than people think.

But, enough of that. You wanted workouts and I'm here to share mine.

I love this workout because it requires no equipment and can be completed anywhere. So, even if you don't have a gym membership, you now have zero excuses! 

This workout can also take you as little as 10 minutes (no time? no problem!), or you can make it more challenging and do two or even three rounds. I like to do the circuit three times through, with 1 minute rest between each circuit.

This video is in collaboration with one of my fitness instructors A, whose blog can be found here.




45s work with 15s rest
TOTAL: 10 minutes

Burpees
Roll Ups
Low Plank to High Plank Walk Ups
Power Jacks
Jump Skating
Mountain Climbers
Jump Over / Crawl Under Rope
Squat Kicks
Push Up Jacks
Squat Jumps

Try This: For anyone new to interval/circuit training, take your time and move at your own pace. This video just shows me doing one round of the circuit. By round three, I'm struggling through the exercises and sweating buckets. It's important that you have good form when doing any kind of exercise, so focus on this rather than trying to do a lot of repetitions.

I'll be posting this and other workouts under the WORKOUTS tab.

What's your favourite workout? And, do you have any suggestions for the types of workouts you'd like to see on the blog?



DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, physician, or any kind of health professional. Everything that you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge and opinion. If you require specific health and fitness advice, please seek a qualified health professional.

2 comments:

  1. Love the video!! Im going to try your work out this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. I def love the interval style workout. I also enjoy a good stretch out (yoga or the like) and anything which can be done quickly:)

    Keep it up, G!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! I also love interval workouts, so you'll definitely be seeing more of them.

      Have you tried barre workouts? They're all the rage right now. While they can be expensive at a gym or fitness studio, I'm putting together a workout routine with my favourite moves and will post it soon!

      Delete