Monday 15 October 2012

WHOLE30: DAYS 16-21 (SIMPLE YUMS)

I'm two-thirds of the way to completing my first Whole30 and while I had a few slip ups during week two, I've stayed strong since - and so why give up now, right? The next week and a half should feel like a piece of cake.

Huh, did someone say cake?

Okay, I'm not really craving sweets so much, but cheese? Yes, I still talk about cheese - a lot. That being said, I still haven't given in to temptation. I handle cheese pretty much all week when I'm watching the kiddies and I have yet to dive into a mound of mozzarella or gnaw on a thick slice of Gouda.  I've come so far, after all. Why call it quits now?

And, hey! If there's one thing (or two or three) that I've learned while doing my Whole30, it's that food can taste really good, even without grains, sugar, legumes, dairy, or alcohol. So, what's the big deal right? Sure, I miss my weekly cheese binge, but what about all of the tasty things I can eat?

Since starting the Whole30, I've discovered that sometimes simple is better. Take this recipe for Almond Chicken. It's my take on the ol' Shake 'n Bake classic, but it's completely grain-free. The recipe only requires a few ingredients and about a half hour in the oven, and voilĂ ! They're a delicious alternative to ordinary roasted chicken (and if you're doing the Whole30 or a similar challenge, chicken stir fry).




(Grain-Free) Almond Chicken

1 pkg. (5) chicken drumsticks
1 cup coconut flour
salt and pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 egg
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 cup ground almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.

2. Grab three bowls. In the first bowl, mix together coconut flour, salt and pepper, and paprika. In the second bowl, whisk together egg and mustard. Finally, place ground almonds in the third bowl.

3. One at a time, take a drumstick and coat it first in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then in the ground almonds until completely coated. Place on baking sheet, and do the same for the rest of the chicken pieces.

4. Lightly dress the coated drumsticks with a bit more olive oil (you could even use an olive oil cooking spray here, the idea is to add a bit of oil to the chicken so that the coating turns golden and crispy).

5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once.

Makes 5 drumsticks.

What's your favourite way to prepare chicken?


DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, physician, or any kind of health professional. Everything that you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge and opinion. If you require specific health and fitness advice, please seek a qualified health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment