Thursday 9 January 2014

WE'RE BAAAAACK (+ CELEBRATORY COOKIES)

Well, that was a hiatus if I ever saw one.

The past few several months have been very hectic. From work to my personal life, I've been on a roller coaster...and not one of those roller coasters where you just go up and come right back down, but one that has many loops and seems to last forever until you feel like you're going to puke your guts out (but in the end, you're on your feet again and your lunch is still intact, woo!).

While I won't bore you with the gritty details of these ups and downs (that's another post for another day, possibly another blog), let's just say I got "busy with life." Don't we all? 

Excuses aside, I'm eager to return to the blogosphere - to share with you my ideas and recipes, and to help answer your questions and contribute to your discussions. After all, it's all of you who keep me writing.

What better way to kick things off than with a celebratory recipe? Why, a celebratory cookie recipe, of course.




There's not a whole lot to say about these cookies. Just try one and you'll see what I'm talking about. Besides containing zero gluten, dairy, and eggs (for all those allergy-ridden friends in your life), they're out-of-this-world chocolate-y and have a great cookie consistency to boot. Don't thank me, though. It's one of my favourite recipes by Erin McKenna of Babycakes NYC, the popular vegan and (mostly) gluten-free bakery (you can see my original blog post about this baking beauty and my visit to her bakery in NYC here).

These cookies were at the top of my list of holiday baking this year, and got rave reviews across the board. From my foodie friends to close family members (and hardest critics), they received two thumbs waaaay up. Heck, those who tried them wouldn't even know they were vegan and gluten-free had I never told them.

They're that good.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies 
adapted from Babycakes NYC

1 cup coconut oil
1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. xantham gum
1 cup vegan chocolate chips, these are my favourite

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, applesauce, salt, vanilla, and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking soda, and xantham gum. Using a rubber spatula, carefully push the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine until dough is formed. With the same spatula, gently fold in the chocolate chips just until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.

3. Scoop heaping teaspoonfuls of the dough, roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Space the portions 1-inch apart. Gently press each with the heel of your hand to help them spread. Bake the cookies on the centre rack of the oven for 14 minutes, rotating the trays 180 degrees after 9 minutes. The cookies will be crispy on the edges and soft in the centre. Remove from the oven.

4. Let cookies stand 10 minutes. They're best served warm, but to save them use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely before covering. Place in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Or just share and devour immediately!

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Stay tuned for updates, as Live Free From undergoes some exciting changes!

image via babycakes nyc


DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, physician, or any kind of health professional. Everything that you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge and opinion. If you require specific health and fitness advice, please seek a qualified health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment